Friday, May 15, 2009

Ashli and Matt's Visit



Well, the first part of my three week break flew by. My older sister Ashli and her husband Matt flew in last Sunday morning. I met them at the airport thrilled to have visitors from home and ready to show family my life here. Though tired they were in good spirits, and we hit the road in a tiny VW Chico which had 6'7'' Matt eating his knees for the next four hours.



We arrived in Omatjete in the early afternoon. I had told some of my students to come by, but no one was in sight so I decided to walk Ashli and Matt around the village and show them the school, community hall, the church etc. On our tour we stopped by Funa's and Tjizakuje's house. I watched as Funa's quick legs darted inside, hiding away from us. Tjizakuje was shy about coming forward as well, but eventually I coaxed them out and they (along with a sweet sixth grade girl named Monica) continued with us through the town. Monica insisted we stop by Naftaline's house because she really wanted to meet Ashli and Matt so off we went. Naftaline was not nearly as shy as the others-- she bounded over, grinning and happy. Then she decided that they should show us the dam (the one Ms. Ikorua's daughter showed me on my first day-- the one that should have water in it by now, but does not). Off we trekked back across the road. As we walked Monica whispered to me, "Miss, it makes me happy just to look at your sister's face." Any of you who have ever met Ashli will understand this feeling. I smiled at her, "Me too."

Funa was terribly timid at first but as we walked slowly warmed up to his charming self. By the time we made it to the dam, the kids raced laughing down its side and beckoned us to follow. There in the mud, hidden from the houses of the village, a feeling of privacy surrounded us. No stares. No tension. Just us and the kids in our own little world. They seemed to sense it too because they sang and danced for Ashli and Matt. And then begged me and Ashli to join them. Which we reluctantly did.

The last request came from Naftaline, "We sang you a song. Teach us one." Ashli and I looked at each other, well aware that our talents lie far from the field of music, but could not turn them down. So out came, "You are my sunshine." I don't know how much the kids learned but they grinned at our far from harmonious notes just the same. Tjizakuje smiled, "Now we have a song to remember you by."


They walked us back to my house where Ashli and Matt loaded them up with sweets and apples. And hugs. It was a nice afternoon, and I knew that for the rest of the week the kids would be talking about the tall, beautiful strangers that had swooped in with candy and fruit and had taught them a song.


The next morning we headed up to Etosha National Park and stayed at the most beautiful place I have ever been-- Ongava Lodge right next to the park located on a huge game reserve. The afternoon of our arrival included a drive out into the park where we were lucky enough to see three lions lazing under a tree-- two males and a female. We also saw giraffes, zebras, tons of wildebeests and springbok. At sunset, our guide-- an easygoing, extremely knowledgeable man from Zambia named Jack, stopped the truck in an open field and allowed us to get out. There we stood, our view of the sky completely circular, all horizons open. Everyone was quiet for a few minutes, taking it all in. Then we clambered back in and headed back to the lodge.


The next few days were filled with animal sitings. My favorite happened on our last morning in the park. We were sitting at a waterhole watching three beautiful lionesses drink when suddenly Matt said in a calm, matter-of-fact voice, "Elephant." Through the trees we saw an enormous grey mass heading our way, and then another, and then another. Suddenly, all in a line through the trees were about twenty elephants of all sizes, including one tiny baby who's trunk swished back and forth excitedly. It was a truly amazing site.


We rounded up the trip with a short stay in Swakop, where we went sliding down the dunes, relaxed, and even saw a movie. I am now back in Windhoek waiting for my mom, sister, and family friend named Barbara to arrive. In just a few hours I'll be greeting them all, and we'll head north again.

No comments:

Post a Comment