Thursday, May 14, 2009

Adventures in Rehoboth and the Hardnap Dam


Hello!
Thank you all for your individual responses. I promise I will get back to you soon. For now, I thought I'd do another update. The last week has been jam packed. On the 2nd of January we traveled South 45 miles to a town called Rehoboth (about 40,000 people) to do our teaching practicum and to live with a host family for a few days. I stayed with the principal's family with two other volunteers. They lived in a very nice house (being a teacher is one of the highest paid profession's in Namibia and both he and his wife are teachers) and had a daughter who was eight, and two granddaughters who were six and nine. The girls were wonderful, utterly welcoming from the moment we arrived. We brought gifts with us-- mine icnluded a harmonica, bouncy balls, and finger puppets (which the girls LOVED). The three even spontaneously put on a puppet show for us which was pretty charming and down right hilarious. Then they made us put one on for them.

Though our host family lived in a nice neighborhood, the houses closer to the primary school were like many photographs I had seen in magazines. One room structures made out of metal. Dogs roamed the streets, and the oppressive heat made it so everyone stayed outside during the middle of the day. The metal houses were just too hot. Still even among the poorest their were gardens and attempts at lawns, and many many beautiful trees (can't wait to send pictures!!). I remember feeling both sad and frustrated at times and wonderful and happy at others.

One of our last nights there, we went to a braii (Namibian word for Barbeque). It was at the principal's brother's house where three other volunteers were staying. They grilled sausages and goat meat (no slaughtering in sight-- sigh of relief) and made potato salad that tasted just like home. Even though everyone was friendly, our host families still ate separately from us (this was common at other meals as well) which felt uncomfortable, but we went along with it out of politeness. At the end of the night the principal, his wife, and his sister-in-l;aw (another teacher) sang for us the school anthem. Their voices were so beautiful I had goosebumps in 85 degree heat. Then we had to sing a song for them (yikes) and so we sang the national anthem. We definitely could not compare, but it was one of the few times that I have felt pride and joy in singing the Star Spangled Banner. And I couldn't help feeling that singing was such a nice way to share a part of ourselves. There were no worries of customs or the limitations of separate cultures and histories. It was a simple and lovely exchange.



The teaching practicum went well, but it was difficult. Volunteer students came and sat in on classes. I taught with another World Teach volunteer and we experienced discipline problems, multilevel classes, and blank stares. But we had successes too. And I feel more comfortable-- though still very nervous-- about my next year in the classroom.

We went another hour south on the 6th to camp (in small houses) at the Hardnap Dam. The heat seemed even worse here, but water felt good and the scenery was like something out of the western U.S. The first night after coming home from dinner, another volunteer and myself entered to find bats swooping around our living room. I never knew I have a fear of bats, but now I do. It was awful. Other volunteers came over and attempted to catch them in pillow cases. We (and by we I mean they) eventually succeeded, but it was the most ridiculous sight in the world. Then, just as we were getting to bed another one got in through a window we were sure was closed! Needless to say I did not get to sleep until very late. Welcome to the wilderness. (Though the bats still ran a distant second to the awful black flies I met in Maine this past summer).



We are back in Windhoek again until Saturday. I will try to do a final update before I leave for my site and once I get there will try to figure out the email as soon as possible.
Thanks for listening, and please excuse any mistakes-- I have been typing very quickly.
Miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment